Saturday, July 02, 2005

 

What is Poetic Licence*?

Language is ever evolving and changing. Its changes reflect the dynamic and creative progress of culture and society. I am all for experimenting with language as we should in any artform. Consider this essential factor as you proceed: In order to break the rules know what those rules are in the first place. So it is in a true spirit of fun, exploration and experimentation that I offer this advice column to help you understand the difference between the right use of words, spelling, and phrases so that you can knowingly break the rules if you need to.

That's what poetic licence really means.

*Incidently: In British English usage, (what the rest of the world uses), the noun is legitimately spelled licence . As in : Did you remember to pick up the marriage licence? It is the verb that is spelled license. As in: We cannot license this vehicle for use. American usage accepts the spelling license for both the noun and the verb.

Comments:
I just wanted to say I love you. I have no idea who you are or if you are the same sex as I or the opposite, young or old, black or white, atheist or devout whatever. But reading your blog was like reading my own thoughts, complete with LOtR references. Thanks.
 
Anonymous,
Thanks for blowing me such a lovely kiss! And back at you! I love(d) doing this blog, but I ran into a time crunch with all my other superhero duties - I hope to resume it sometime!
Love,
Ninja
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?