Monday, September 19, 2005

 

Can Legs Ever Be Akimbo?

The official answer is no. Never. Can't happen. That is because the word akimbo, strictly speaking, may only refer to a position of the arms where the hands are placed on the hips and bent outward at the elbows. But you will find reference to limbs other than arms being akimbo mentioned with abandon in many well respected works of literature and non-fiction. I heard it used with reference to legs on the radio the other day. In this way the term akimbo has come to mean any part of the body that is askew, splayed, bent at a joint, or otherwise angled in some way.


Comments:
Hey, whatever happened to this blog? I just stumbled across it and I see it lived a short and glorious life.

I'm an English major, afloat in a sea of horrible grammar usage out here on the internet's open seas. Hey, throw me a life preserver! I demand a revival!

(Please start by correcting any wayward grammar in my post. Hee hee.)
 
Hey Anonymous,

I really really do want to get back to doing this blog. It was a lot of fun - unfortunately I ran into some time issues - but I promise to come back hopefully within the month.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?